Buying a home is stressful enough as it is, but buying a home from out of state comes with a whole new set of hurdles to overcome. You might feel like you’re rolling the dice, but with the right people on your team and these essential tips, you can make a choice with no regrets.
- Do your research – Of course you’ll have an agent helping you find the right home, but you shouldn’t rely just on their expertise. Sit down with your computer and dig up as much of your own info as possible.
- Be picky – When relocating, you’ll rely on your agent to be your eyes and ears, so it’s imperative to have someone you trust on your side.
- Be wary – There are a lot of scammers out there that will put up fake listings, stage a “bidding war” and disappear with your earnest money.
- Ask the “stupid questions” – If something is confusing, don’t hesitate to ask for clarification! Your agent would rather you ask too many questions than be at all uncomfortable.
- Try to make it to the inspection – If you can only be in town for the closing or the inspection, definitely choose the inspection. Pictures on the inspection report are fine, but if you can be there in person, you can really understand any issues.